Disputes within a business, whether it be a partnership, corporation or joint venture can disrupt the operation of the business and, if not dealt with quickly, discreetly and effectively, may have consequences for their reputation in the business community, on the confidence of their trading partners and perhaps even the viability of the business itself. At Sodagar & Company, we believe every business dispute has a solution and we routinely work with our clients in finding the most effective and economical solution. Our team has successfully assisted small to large organizations at various stages of business disputes. We have assisted clients in direct negotiations, mediations and arbitrations, and through each stage of the litigation process.
Our approach is to advocate our client’s position while keeping in mind their short and long term objectives. We believe it’s important to understand both the potential risks along with the potential rewards early in the litigation process so that our clients can make informed decisions in the best interests of their business. This is why at our first meeting our commercial litigation lawyers will do a thorough analysis of your case. As a preliminary matter, we will also identify both strengths and any weaknesses and help uncover other information that will be required to proceed.
What Steps Are Typically Involved in the Business and Commercial Litigation Process?
The steps governing the business and commercial law litigation process are thoroughly outlined in the British Columbia Supreme Court Civil Rules. Generally speaking, there are 4 main stages in business and commercial law disputes:
- Pleadings – With our assistance, parties either initiate or defend an action in either the Provincial Court of British Columbia (Small Claims) or the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Discovery – Parties to the action exchange ‘relevant’ documents and answer questions posed by opposing counsel under oath.
- Mediation – In certain circumstances, parties engage in mediation or a pretrial conference at which point settlement is formally explored through either a mediator or a Judge.
- Trial – Parties that cannot resolve and settle their commercial and business law disputes through mediation or pretrial continue to a formal trial.
What Type of Business and Commercial Litigation Does Our Firm Handle?
We have assisted clients in:
- Appellate Practice
- Breach of Contract & Other Contract Disputes
- Breach of Guarantee
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
- Commercial Insurance
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Leasing
- Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation & Non-Compete
- Defamation, Libel & Slander
- Licensing Disputes
- Injunctions and Urgent Remedies
- Property & Real Estate Litigation
- Summary Judgment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trademark & Tradename Infringement & Passing Off
With locations in both Vancouver and an affiliate office in Toronto, our business lawyers offer personalized service. To see how we could help you with your business or commercial litigation matters please call our office today.